Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My "Formal" Learning Experience

I don't know exactly why, but I have a terrible time telling people what I will be charging. I think about it beforehand and always end up charging less than I first decided it seems. However, I don't want to be doing too much sewing for free beyond my predetermined charity work. These last few weeks, two girls (one a former student and one a neighbor) asked me to fix their formals for the prom. I didn't even think about telling them what I thought it would cost, so when I finished, the neighbor girl asked if there would be a charge (as she was going out the door). I told her $15.00, which is pretty low for what I did, and she looked shocked. Because she is a neighbor, I told her she could pay later. My husbnd reminded me that they never have had to wait for money when we asked them to watch our dogs or mow the lawn when were gone, and they NEVER have done anything for us for free.
Later, the former student tried on her dress after I had let out 18 seams and it was still too tight. She asked what else we could do, so I said I could cut it down so the zipper just came to the waist. It meant that I had to add 6 more loops, put in new facings, re sew the zipper, add a hook and eye and finish the edges. I had earlier told her that the 18 seams would cost $6.00. When I gave her the re remodeled dress, she handed me a card. I was surprised and didn't think to say that there was a new price. Soooo, I ended up making $6.00 for all of that work because I'm a WIMP! I am determined to get better at this or stop alterations completely! I guess I had become complacent because everyone I've worked with this last year has been really good about discussing price and paying promptly. The saying is Live and Learn, but shouldn't I have lived long enough by now to have learned?

No comments:

Post a Comment