Wednesday, April 8, 2009

THEL

As I've been trying to create original designs, I constantly try to remember something I learned years ago when I was working as a County Agent. We Home Economists attended a workshop designed to help us teach sewing skills, and we were told by the instructor to always try to avoid looking like "THEL". We didn't know if the instructor had a lisp or what! After an uncomfortable silence, she finally told us that meant to avoid "The Home Ec Look" We still didn't really know what she was talking about until she said, "You know--the woman who you can tell made everything she is wearing--not because it is not sewn well, but because it looks nothing like what people are wearing currently" She went on to tell us that any successful seamstress is first of all, a good shopper. She also keeps notes and avoids at all costs, making too many cute accessories to match the dress or coat she just made! She told us that she knew a woman who actually made matching panties from the scraps of her dresses. We didn't ask how she knew that little tidbit.
I know I have a hard time keeping myself from making everything match. It's such a temptation to create just one more item.

No comments:

Post a Comment