Friday, April 17, 2009

A New Addiction


The other day I was researching sewing machines powerful enough to sew leather and thick upholstery fabrics. Somehow, that search turned into bidding on toy sewing machines on e-bay. I ended up with five! None really are sewing ready right now, but at least 4 could be with a little work. I even ordered an instruction book and some needles. All that for a woman who already has 12 working machines, plus one more that just needs some work. Oh well, they will look cute on the basement shelves as soon as I can get rid of some more old books and records. Eventually, I will have them working just for the fun of it. I currently have 6 of my machines that I use frequently and 3 more occasionally. Now does anyone have a suggestion for the best old machine for sewing leather and heavy fabrics? I have two treadles, two vikings from the 60's and an electric Singer fro 1925 to try out.

2 comments:

  1. wow! that's a lot of sewing machines! I don't have any tips for you, but I'll ask my sis who got the sewing genes in the family. Let me know if those records are headed for a dumpster I'd be happy to reincarnate them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I go through the records, there definitely will be some that are best used for reincarnation. I'll put getting them to you on my list!

    ReplyDelete