Monday, February 23, 2009

Why I sew


I have loved to sew, or rather design something and sew it, forever it seems. I used to love to design clothes for my paper dolls, made clothes for all of my nieces dolls and sewed for others all through high school and college. There were a couple of higher end clothing stores in Boise when I was in junior high and high school. I used to check them out and try to copy what I saw with the fabric my Mom and I bought from Sears and Penneys for 4 yards for $1.00. I was sure they looked just like the originals. Some of my designs worked and a lot didn't. Of course, when I got to college and took Home Economics clothing classes, I learned about all of the mistakes I'd been making!


I believe that everyone needs to have something they can do well enough to be able to use it for therapy. For me, that is designing and sewing.


As a result of my love for design and sewing (and because I needed to pare down my fabric and trim stash) I started a sewing business as a retirement job. Well, with the first blush of success, I proceeded to quaddrupple my supply, so now I'll have to sew until I'm 100 at least. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I have 13 sewing machines and I'm hating to give up the serger I just bought for my daughter from Craig's list!

No comments:

Post a Comment