Thursday, February 26, 2009

Collection or Addiction?




For those of us on the verge of being overwhelmed by our "stuff", we have to find ways to justify our need to have a bunch of things we'll never have time to use or maybe even look at much. I learned a long time ago that calling it a collection often works fairly well. However, when I say that one of the things I collect is fabric, the jig is up. I also don't think many are buying into me calling the basement a production facility in order to justify the mess. I do sort, organize, sample and redo the collection quite often. How to sort and organize it all is problematic though. Over the years, I've sorted by fabric type, projected use, color and care. Nothing works all of the time when I am searching for just the "right" piece. I resorted at least 4 times just in the last two years and still would like to find a better system.


When people see my collection for the first time, they are often overwhelmed. I try to warn them, but perhaps there is no way to be adequately prepared. It is nice to almost always have the right piece of fabric or trim for any project. Right now, at our Little Theater I have furnished the fabric for 3 sets of curtains, the tie backs for the drapes in the dining area, the "water", "dirt" and "grass" for the dining room stage decorations, and I have over 20 table cloths in the storage area. When I get a special request on etsy, I rarely have to go to the store (although I often do, just in case I find an even better treasure)


Within the last few years though, my collecting mania has spilled over into other items. I finally made myself quit at 13 sewing machines, and I'm trying to be strong when I see a great tea cup. The tea cup collection started because about 4 years ago, I decided to host a tea tasting baby shower for my daughter-in-law. It was so much fun, that I kept going. I've hosted several more tea tastings and have ended up with a whole cupboard full of tea pots and tea cups. I'll never be able to stop now unless I post the whole set on Craig's list !


My husband and I both have a true addiction to books and he has accumulated an amazing collection of Native American books, videos and art.


Our children are both nagging us to downsize so they don't have to do it for us! I've noticed though that they like it when we can come up with something they need though.


Maybe we should join a 12 step program, but I'm having too much fun right now to consider it! Happy "collecting" to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment